The past couple of days have seen a burst of colour! With the US Supreme Court’s declaration that same-sex marriage is legal in all 50 states, the world broke out in song, people all over rejoicing in the granting of equal rights by the American judiciary. I too am overjoyed, not because the passing of the law has any direct impact on me, but because, in a far land, people just like you and me have been given the right to live and love freely.
For today, June 29, 2015, the boyfriend and I have completed two years together. We’ve been blessed enormously; not just with each other, but with our supportive family who have accepted our relationship and have allowed it to flourish without raising hurdles or stunting its growth. We’ve been enjoying the right to love freely. 🙂
On this occasion, I decided to bake rainbow cupcakes to celebrate love. The love I enjoy from the amazing man in my life as well as love in the lives of every human being on this planet. We all deserve to celebrate love, bask in it and open our hearts to it. Because really, love is supreme. Love trumps all. This world’s very foundation is love. So, who are we to tell someone that their love doesn’t matter or doesn’t mean anything?
What the last week also ensued was a tonne of people criticizing the US for their open-mindedness and many others wondering out loud just why people from other countries were celebrating? I’m not going to lie; these thoughts infuriate me. But I have a simple explanation as to why I celebrate along with those to whom the law applies. Every human being deserves the right to choose whom they wish to marry, live with and love. No one should be able to tell them otherwise. So while I wait for my Indian brothers and sisters, and those all over the world, to receive the support of the law to love and marry whomsoever they wish, this doesn’t stop me from being happy for someone somewhere who has been granted the choice and the right to do the same.
So in the spirit of #LoveForAll and #MarriageForAll, here’s the recipe for these delicious Rainbow Cupcakes
Here’s what you need:
- Unsalted Butter – 275 g
- Sugar – 260 g
- Eggs – 4
- All Purpose Flour – 275 g
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup (or more), at room temperature
- Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Food colour – a few drops of whichever colour you want the cupcakes to be
Here’s how you make these colourful delights:
- Preheat your oven at 165 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl blend together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the eggs and beat for three minutes or until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and beat the batter until light and airy, about six minutes. If the batter seems too heavy and dense, pour in the water and blend until it is light and easy to deal with. Add in the vanilla essence and give it a final mix.
- Separate the batter into a few bowls and mix in just the right amount of food colour to get that perfect shade.
- Once you are happy with the colours, pour the batter into cupcake liners and bake for about 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once done and cooled, serve just as or top with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
These cupcakes are like sunshine on a plate. While they were in the oven baking, I was letting out little excited squeals while admiring how pretty they looked! And my, are they delicious! Buttery, moist and melt-in-the-mouth, they are just the right amount of sweet. The joy really lies in enjoying all those beautiful colours while gobbling them up. Oh, how I love all this colour in my kitchen! 😀
Try these simply wonderful Rainbow Cupcakes! I just know they are going to brighten up your day! 😀
2 thoughts on “Rainbow Cupcakes”
Winola, you have such an impressive blog here! I love the colors, the photography, your explanation and tips, and of course your thoughts on love! Your food looks so luscious. Wishing you all the best on your culinary journey!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi Betsy, thank you so much for your lovely comments and wishes! You are too kind 😊 It’s wonderful to have such amazing readers like yourself who are as passionate about food as I am. Thank you for being an integral part of my culinary journey. It means a lot! 😊