What are some of my favourite things? Nope; not raindrops or roses (and certainly not kittens!). I revel in being lost in thought; long conversations with my mom while we’re seated on the kitchen floor enjoying our tea break; the warmth of hugs; talking about everything with the boyfriend while doing nothing; delighting in some ‘me-time’ while I cook and bake; writing both for myself and for you guys; and food. Lots of food.
Last afternoon, quite a few of my favourite things came to be. I spent a while talking to the boyfriend about everything under the sun. And when he lay down for a siesta, I found myself lost in thought. I reflected on the past week. It’s been quite rough. With four dental appointments, one impacted molar extraction, one root canal and three pending sittings between us, we’ve been neck deep in hospitals, needles, drills and suction tools. It has not been fun.
That led me – inevitably – to the kitchen. I looked through the contents of my refrigerator and I decided to make Strawberry Mint Lemonade. This was my first attempt at making this refreshing summer quencher. And since I’ve never sipped on a Strawberry Lemonade before, I can’t say how close to the real thing it tastes. But what I can say is this – it tastes pretty darn fantastic! 😀
Here’s what you need:
- Fresh Strawberries – 10 or 12, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups, chilled
- A couple cubes of Ice
- Mint leaves – a few for garnishing
And here’s how you make Strawberry Mint Lemonade 🙂
- In a large bowl, mush the strawberries with a potato/meat masher until they are reduced to a paste. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon and add in the sugar. Pour in the water and give the drink mixture a good mix.
- At this point, taste the blend. If you would like it sweeter or you prefer a stronger hit of strawberry or lemon, make some additions.
- Drop a couple of ice cubes in each tumbler. Pour the Strawberry Lemonade into the tumbler through a strainer.
- Top with a few muddled mint leaves, and sip away!
So when the boyfriend was up, I had a little surprise waiting for him in the balcony. Instead of our evening coffee ritual, we had a lovely impromptu Strawberry Mint Lemonade date! His first reaction to the drinks sitting in tall fluted glasses was, “Did you just make that?” (I LOVE surprising him!) He then took his first sip and let out a very refreshed ‘Ooohh’! 😛 (Phew!) And while he sat there, still a bit groggy eyed, enjoying his drink, I stole myself away for a few seconds to click these pictures for you guys to see!
Needless to say, this Strawberry Lemonade is invigorating. It is sweet and tangy and zesty and punchy, all at once. It will leave you feeling light, exhilarated and positively revitalized. It’s true, you can never go wrong with the perfect combination of strawberries, lemon and mint. C’est impossible! 😀
3 thoughts on “Strawberry Mint Lemonade”