Citrus meets Berry in this melt-in-the-mouth Orange Raspberry Ricotta Bundt! ❤
I have this knack (I don’t know if I should call it that!) where I rightly presume what an ingredient I’ve never tried before tastes like. A few years ago, I was reading a recipe that called for the pulp of passion fruit atop a cheesecake. I had never laid eyes on a passion fruit, and yet I had an inkling that it tasted like a beautiful dance of sweet and tangy with the scent of tropical paradise! The first time I tasted passion fruit was only a few months ago, and my, was I right! In the similar way, I was spot on about brussel sprouts, blackberries, dragon fruit and star fruit (*cringe*). I attribute this ‘quality’ to tossing the words used to describe a particular ingredient, in TV shows, magazines and books, back and forth in my head, till I attach a flavour profile to the ingredient. (Or maybe, just mayyyybbeee, I spend way too much time thinking about food! But I get it right most times, so that’s got to mean something, yeah?) 😛
So, when I came across Bon Appetit’s recipe for this stunning Raspberry Ricotta Cake, I already knew what it was going to taste like, and that it was going to be FABULOUS! (Please try to refrain from rolling your eyes at me about now. Thank you.) And then I thought, ‘Orange Raspberry Ricotta Bundt… hmmmmmm.’ (In my head, a choir of angels was singing!) ❤
Here’s what you need:
- All Purpose Flour – 220 g
- Granulated White Sugar – 150 g
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Eggs – 3
- Ricotta – 250 g
- Juice and zest of 1 Orange
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 56.5 g, melted
- Fresh Raspberries – 170 g
- Icing Sugar – for dusting
Here’s how to make this beautiful Orange Raspberry Ricotta Bundt:
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C/ 340 °F. Grease a bundt pan with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the ricotta, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Add in the orange zest and mix.
- Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder and fold the dry ingredients into the batter until well incorporated.
- Pour in the orange juice and the melted butter and whisk. Toss the fresh raspberries into the batter and using a spatula, gently fold them in.
- Empty the batter into the prepared bundt pan and pop it into the oven for 60-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached and the surface of the cake is springy to the touch. When done, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, turn the bundt over on to a serving plate, dust with some icing sugar and serve!
This is the first and only time I have baked with ricotta. And I have to say it has exceeded every expectation I had for it. I’m so blown over, that I want to bake EVERY cake with ricotta! I knew it was going to be creamy, with the slightest hint of sweetness; a bit like mascarpone, but not quite. But I was NOT prepared for the crumb on this cake. OH MY GOD!
For those of you who think that the perfect cake is one that is airy and fluffy, you’re not wrong. But a dense and soft and melt-in-the-mouth, almost creamy crumbed cake is pretty darn perfect too! The texture is amazing; it’s like this rich cake turns to lush velvet when taken a bite of. So dreamy!
The bright and zesty combination of orange and raspberries is a classic. The refreshing bursts of citrus and splashes of berry goodness are just what we need to usher us from a grey winter into a vivid spring. 😀 And the sweetness ties it all up with a pretty bow!
I’m not crazy about frosting, and that’t why I’m constantly on the hunt for cakes that stand tall on their own. And this Orange Raspberry Ricotta Bundt definitely does! It has the potential to rock your world. My dad went back for a second slice (he dislikes all cake, but LOVES Indian sweets), so yeah, believe me when I say, this cake is beyond amazing!
If you’ve got plans to bake this weekend, pick some ricotta up on your grocery run and bake yourself an Orange Raspberry Ricotta Cake. I do like to imagine that food in paradise looks like this! 😛
For regular updates on what’s happening in The Foodscape kitchen, follow me on Instagram at @thefoodscape! You’ll love all the deliciousness there, I promise! ❤
One thought on “Orange Raspberry Ricotta Bundt”