Have a massive sweet tooth and looking for a healthy way to satiate the craving? These 10 Minute Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Bliss Balls will do the trick!
I’m often asked where my creativity comes from, or what inspires it. And I’ve struggled with answering, until now. My creativity stems from various things. Some days it’s something I see that inspires me. Other days it’s waking up happy and well-rested that gives me a kick. Some days my creativity stems from dark recesses within me, places I try not to go to, and have a hard time coming back from. And then there are times it comes from a place of complete and utter frustration.
Making these Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Bliss Balls was definitely an outcome of frustration with myself. A few months ago, an old flame named Stress Eating visited me. And it stayed for longer than I hoped. I gave in; but didn’t find solace in food, instead I was frustrated with myself for falling prey again.
You see, sweet stuff is my weakness. Despite being a homebaker, I was guzzling on store-bought banana bread and cheesecake. Not the greatest tasting stuff, and definitely NOT the healthiest! (I’ve got delicious, foolproof recipes for both; hit the direct links above! 😛)
So, I embarked on a mission – to create barely-sweet, bite-sized treats that would sate a sweet craving and give me an energy boost at the same time. After lots of research, I settled on these no-bake, gluten free, refined sugar free, 6-ingredient, 10 minute Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Bliss Balls… yummmm!
Here’s what you need:
- Gluten-free old-fashioned Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Flax Seeds – 1/2 cup, ground
- Creamy Peanut Butter – 2/3 cup
- Dark Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
Here’s how you put together these treats:
- In a bowl, mix together the rolled oats, ground flax seeds, peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Toss in the chocolate chips and mix well. Chill for 15 minutes.
- With damp hands, pick up a dollop of the mixture and roll into a bliss ball in between your palms. Repeat this with the rest of the mixture and place the bliss balls in a storage box lined with parchment paper and refrigerate.
- Rolling the mixture into bliss balls is the only time-consuming part of this recipe. But you can knock it out in a jiffy. This will, however, depend on the temperature of peanut butter. If too cold and firm, you wont be able to mix the ingredients right away. Too warm and the mixture will be far too sticky to roll. I like to use chilled peanut butter that has been left out on the counter for a 30 minutes. That way it’s at a temperature and consistency that can be easily mixed and rolled.
- Chilling time is optional. But that will depend on the temperature of the ingredients and the weather. I’ve found that during the winter, these bliss balls hold their own without any chilling time. But during the summer months, the mixture needs to be chilled before rolling.
- For a deeper, richer flavour, use good quality chocolate chips.
- These Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Bliss Balls keep well refrigerated for up to a 2 weeks. I don’t know if they will keep well for more than a fortnight, because that situation has never played out in my home. You get the drift… 😛
Making these bliss balls is child’s play. There’s no cooking involved and they can be prepped and ready to eat quickly and with hardly any effort! But my favourite thing about them is how scrumptious they are. Nice and nutty, with the saltiness of peanut butter, pockets of rich dark chocolate, texture from the flax and sweet hints of honey! The perfect little treat for the sweet-lover, stress-eater and the incessant-snacker.
I like to keep a batch of these in the fridge at all times. And every time we have guests or family over, I offer them some; for salty snacks are ALWAYS a no-show in our home. I’ve noticed that neither can anyone resist them (duh, who can resist peanut butter and chocolate?) nor can anyone stop popping them. 😀
Pssstt… we even eat these as dessert sometimes! 😛
10 Minutes. 6 ingredients. A bowl. A spoon. A storage box. And a hungry tummy. That’s all you need to whip up these no-bake Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Bliss Balls!
What are your favourite healthy snacks/desserts? I’d love to read all about them in the comments below. Then, don’t wait, go make yourself a batch of these sweet treats. ❤
Want to Pin this recipe for later? Here you go!
This recipe has been adapted from Ali’s recipe for No Bake Energy Bites over on Gimme Some Oven.
For regular updates on what’s happening in The Foodscape kitchen, follow me on Instagram at @thefoodscape! You’ll love all the deliciousness there, I promise! ❤
5 thoughts on “10 Minute Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chip Bliss Balls”
Wow ! This is absolutely a bliss !!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you, Megala! You’re always so kind! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
These look amazing! I bet you could save some time with a teaspoon ice cream scoop. I got one for dumplings and now I use it al the time
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hannah, that is an INCREDIBLE idea! Why didn’t I think of that! Haha. I have to pick a teaspoon ice cream scoop up for myself soon. I find myself missing out on in the kitchen, yet somehow manage to forget to pick one up every time I hit the store!
Thank you! I think I picked mine up on amazon